At the SPAC of Dawn
Good morning! Watch this space moving forward as a roundup of evening filings as well as news nuggets to nibble on beside your morning coffee.
AST SpaceMobile (NASDAQ:ASTS) is set to provide a business update and preliminary third quarter financials a week from today on November 14, and it may be a call worth tuning into as the space business continues to shake out for better and worse.
Yesterday brought the news that rocket-making de-SPAC Astra (NASDAQ:ASTR) was hurtling back to Earth after failing to maintain some debt covenants. But AST, which combined with New Providence in 2021, could tell a different story with an unlikely boost from Elon Musk.
The billionaire’s own space venture Space X has tipped its finances in recent weeks as it engages with financiers. It is now reportedly expecting to log revenues of about $9 billion in 2023 and $15 billion in 2024. What’s more, the private launch pioneer is seeing revenue from its Starlink space-based internet platform outpace that of its launch business and it expects Starlink to account for the majority of sales in next year.
Geopolitical tensions have doubtless played a role as Starlink has been providing critical services to the Ukrainian military (with some controversial limitations) and the service has been extended to at least some humanitarian organizations engaged in the Israel-Palestine conflict.
That would appear to be a bright endorsement of AST’s business model, which has eschewed the launch risk held by rocket-focused firms like Astra, and instead rides its satellites up to space through partners. Once enough of its satellites are in place, it plans to operate a global space-based 4G mobile network with initial commercial service earmarked to go online in 2024.
News and Rumors
- PR: Abacus Life (NASDAQ:ABL) launched a wealth management division called ABL Wealth in partnership with Dynasty Financial Partners, four months after the asset manager and buyer of life insurance policies completed its combination with East Resources.
- Newswires: Logiq (OTC:LGIQ) has begun a dividend distribution to its shareholders of of 3,762,000 shares in its subsidiary Collective Audience (NASDAQ:CAUD), formerly known as DLQ, which completed a spinoff combination with Abri SPAC I on November 2.
- BioFuels Digest: The Philadelphia Eagles has partnered with bioplastics producer Verde Bioresins and GreenGear Supply Company to introduce the EcoShop bio-based, reusable, recyclable, and landfill-degradable bag. TLGY (NASDAQ:TLGY) announced its business combination with Verde Bioresins in June.
- CNBC: After weeks of increasing signs, office sharing network WeWork (NYSE:WE) formally declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, two years out from its combination with BowX.
- Renewables Now: UK SPAC Pineapple Power (LON:PNPL) has signed to a non-binding agreement to combine with Canadian hydrogen power company Ilios Hydrogen in a £33 million ($40.6 million) deal.
- Battery Future Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:BFAC) entered into non-redemption agreements with unaffiliated third parties in for an aggregate of 687,500 Class A ordinary shares. In exchange for the foregoing commitment to not redeem such shares, the sponsor has agreed to transfer to the investors up to an aggregate of 137,500 Class B ordinary shares.
Plum Acquisition Corp. I (NASDAQ:PLMI) has entered into a definitive agreement to combine with digital transformation company Veea for a total enterprise value of approximately $281 million. New York City-based Veea aims to simplify secure edge computing by improving application responsiveness, reducing bandwidth and data transport costs, and eliminating central cloud dependency. The parties expect the transaction to be...
L Catterton Asia (NASDAQ:LCAA) announced this morning that it has upsized the committed financing in its combination with EV sports car maker Lotus to $870 million in total. The latest fuel injection comes in the form of $750 million in convertible notes and PIPE commitments under so far undisclosed terms. Counted purely as a PIPE,...
At the SPAC of Dawn SPAC closing timelines can always be somewhat unpredictable, but PROOF I (NYSE:PACI) has the opportunity today to vie for a recent speed record today. It announced a combination with private aviation firm Volato 118 days ago on August 2 and its shareholders are set to vote to approve the combination...
Dune Acquisition Corporation (NASDAQ:DUNE) announced in an 8-K today that it has once again modified its agreement with sustainable energy firm Global Hydrogen. This amendment marks a reduction in Global Hydrogen’s equity value from $48 million to $43 million, alongside an increase in the available shares of common stock that is for the Global Gas Corporation...
At the SPAC of Dawn After mixed signals for the consumer sector earlier this month, initial Black Friday sales numbers have shown that Americans were not too stuffed for a shopping spree this year. Shoppers bagged between $9.8 billion and $10 billion in goods online, depending on one’s preferred source, either of which would be...