At the SPAC of Dawn
Good morning! Watch this space moving forward as a roundup of evening filings as well as news nuggets to nibble on beside your morning coffee.
Even with Halloween now passed, it has been a spooky week for deals trying to make it to close without getting the chop.
Two more SPACs announced they would terminate their deals and liquidate over the past 24 hours, adding to two deals that got the axe yesterday. That makes for one of the bloodiest two-day periods in recent SPAC history.
Those five deals still represent just a small fraction of the 160 announced SPAC deals still working to close, but 112 of them currently have a month or less left on their SPAC’s transaction deadline. So, the bloodletting could continue.
Many of these have the ability to automatically extend, but redemptions at votes have prompted a number of the recent breakups. There are still seven votes for either extensions or completions set for the back half of this week.
News and Rumors
- WSJ: WeWork (NYSE:WE) reportedly plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in New Jersey as early as next week, two years out from its combination with BowX.
- Bloomberg Law: Getty (NYSE:GETY) has been ordered to pay $88 million to three investment funds for improperly refusing to allow them to exercise their warrants following Getty’s combination with CC Neuberger II in July 2022. Getty called all warrants in September of that year, but spiked up to $32.20 in the two months in between.
- Bloomberg: Velo3D (NYSE:VLD) is pursuing strategic options including a possible sale, having gone public in a merger with JAWS Spitfire in October 2021.
- Battery Future Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:BFAC) entered into non-redemption agreements with unaffiliated third parties in exchange for investors agreeing to not redeem an aggregate of 3,563,000 Class A ordinary shares. In exchange, the sponsor will transfer to the investors up to an aggregate of 712,600 Class B ordinary shares at the closing of a business combination.
- Chain Bridge I (NASDAQ: CBRG) announced that it will redeem all of its outstanding Class A ordinary shares, effective as of the close of business on November 15. The per-share redemption price for the public shares will be approximately $10.80.
- Industrial Tech Acquisitions II (NASDAQ:ITAQ) has mutually terminated its combination with NEXT Renewable Fuels and the SPAC will now liquidate within 10 business days of October 30. It expects its redemption price to be approximately $11 per share after $50,000 in dissolution expenses.
At the SPAC of Dawn This week is set to see SPACs rush to tie up business combinations nicely in a bow before the final two weeks of the year. Eight SPACs currently have completion votes on the docket this week, while there are currently just four more booked for the rest of 2023. Eight...
SportsMap Tech Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ:SMAP) announced this morning that its shareholders approved its business combination with intelligent thermal imaging provider Infrared Cameras Holdings (ICI) during a special meeting on December 8. A total of 3,829,673 shares of the common stock, representing approximately 73.86% of the issued and outstanding shares, were present at the meeting, constituting...
Terms Tracker for the Week Ending December 8, 2023 Welcome to our weekly column where we discuss the findings from our IPO terms tracker based on the previous week’s pricings. Well that escalated quickly. While last week was quiet, this week was far busier. SPACs saw one IPO start trading after pricing on Friday of...
Mobiv Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ:MOBV) announced this afternoon that it has closed its combination with EV motorcycle-maker SRIVARU. Shareholders originally approved the deal at a special meeting held back on September 28, but at that time, the parties expected the transaction to take just a week to close. Redemptions whittled Mobiv’s IPO share pool of 10,005,000 down...
Achari Ventures I (NASDAQ:AVHI) has entered into a definitive agreement to combine with medtech firm Vaso Corporation at an equity value of $176 million, or 19.5x its 2022 adjusted EBITDA. Wuxi, China-based Vaso provides IT services and sales support to medical device manufacturers. The combined company is expected to trade on the Nasdaq under the...