At the SPAC of Dawn
This week is set to see SPACs rush to tie up business combinations nicely in a bow before the final two weeks of the year. Eight SPACs currently have completion votes on the docket this week, while there are currently just four more booked for the rest of 2023.
Eight SPACs are also already making plans for the new year, in asking shareholders for more time in extension votes this week.
So far there are some signs that the redemptions situation could be easing somewhat going into 2024. Only four SPACs have fully completed deals since November 1 and they saw 95.6% of shares redeemed, while SPACs that have not yet closed but have had votes during the period had 89.8% redemptions.
That compares to a year-long median of 97.7% of shares redeemed across the 82 SPACs that completed transactions in 2023. The recent bump in the other direction could be due to a small size, but hope springs eternal.
News and Rumors
- Bloomberg: Data firm Near Intelligence (NASDAQ:NIR) has filed for bankruptcy and it plans to sell itself just nine months after completing its combination with KludeIn I. Private credit firm Blue Torch Capital has reportedly provided an initial offer to buy up its assets for $50 million.
- PR: Concrete Pumping Holdings (NASDAQ:BBCP) announced that its 13,017,677 warrants expired at 5 pm ET December 6, on the five-year anniversary of its 2018 combination with Industrea.
- Gardiner Healthcare Acquisitions Corp. (NASDAQ:GDNR) will redeem all outstanding shares at the close of business on December 18 for a yet undisclosed redemption rate.
Black Mountain Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:BMAC) will redeem all outstanding shares at a so far unreleased redemption rate. These will cease trading at the open of business on December 19 and be considered canceled on December 21.
- 7GC & Co.(NASDAQ:VII), reconvened and then further adjourned, without conducting any other business, its special meeting relating to its proposed business combination with Banzai International. The meeting has been further adjourned until December 11 at 1:00 p.m., ET.
- dMY Squared (NYSE:DMYY) has postponed its December 13 extension vote into the new year and will now aim to convene it at 11 am ET January 2, 2024. This will give shareholders until December 28 to make final redemption decisions on what is a large extension ask. The proposal on the ballot would allow dMY Squared to extend its deadline in monthly increments up to 23 times from January 4, 2024 to up to December 29, 2025 in exchange for monthly contributions of $50,000.
News and Rumors PR: Hillsinai Learning, which serves about 500,000 students across 40 schools and 5,000 partner schools, has hired iLearningEngines to build its AI learning automation platform. iLearningEngines has a pending combination with Arrowroot (NASDAQ:ARRW). SpaceNews: Virgin Galactic (NYSE:SPCE) does not expect any delays on its Galactic 07 mission to take passengers into space...
Aetherium Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ:GMFI) has entered into a definitive agreement to combine with Capital A (KL:5099), the parent company of the AirAsia airline at an estimated transaction value of $1.15 billion. Kuala Lumpur-based Capital A owns the AirAsia regional airline as well as subsidiaries in logistics, payments and loyalty. Transaction Overview Aetherium has an estimated...
At the SPAC of Dawn NVIDIA’s (NASDAQ:NVDA) market cap is about 10% of the entire Nasdaq, so the notion that its own rise would float many boats is something of a given. But, it has also been specifically instrumental in the recent gains by a number of de-SPACs in the AI technology space. Soundhound (NASDAQ:SOUN)...
News and Rumors MarketWatch: Benchmark analyst Josh Sullivan said he believes the Moon landing by Inflection Point‘s Intuitive Machines (NASDAQ:LUNR) will be a catalyst for more investment in the commercial space industry, which has been cash-strapped in recent years. PR: Securities and crypto trading platform Coincheck, which has a pending combination with Thunder Bridge IV,...
At the SPAC of Dawn Market-watchers will get their first of this week’s series of macro hints today as durable goods sales figures are set to come out at 8:30 am ET followed by home price numbers at 9 am ET. The Richmond and Dallas Feds are then to release their own services indices an...