At the SPAC of Dawn
Good morning! Watch this space moving forward as a roundup of evening filings as well as news nuggets to nibble on beside your morning coffee.
Although SPAC deal announcements continue to slumber through the beginning of November, two definitive agreements with a minerals producer and an AI firm, plus a letter-of-intent (LOI) announcement this morning provide some pique as turkey day approaches.
If the LOI were to advance to a definitive agreement, Plum I’s proposed deal could be a part of a rebounding sector as a 2023 software SPAC deal. At one point in the cycle, SPACs were practically the standard path for a midcap software firm to go public.
Twenty-three such firms announced SPAC deals in 2021, but this dropped to 14 in 2022. Already 11 new software deals have been announced in 2023, so it could be a rare sector where SPAC deal count on the year finishes up over 2022 numbers.
It hasn’t been all rosy for the 49 software de-SPACs that completed deals dating back to 2012 as they now trade at a median price of $2.30. But, four either continue to trade or were later acquired above $10 per share. Any team now hunting in this sector is likely on the lookout for a new Vertiv (NYSE:VRT), which last closed at $41.83 three years out from closing with GS I in 2020.
- Tristar Acquisition I Corp. (NYSE:TRIS) has entered into a definitive agreement to combine with Singapore-based Helport AI, which it expects to close in the first quarter of 2023.
- Pyrophyte Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:PHYT) has signed a $708 million combination agreement with Sio Silica, which produces high-purity quartz silica. Proceeds from the transaction are expected to fund the construction of Sio Silica’s extraction and processing facility in Winnipeg, Canada.
- Plum Acquisition Corp. I (NASDAQ:PLMI) announced an LOI to combine with Veea, an edge-to-cloud software firm that aids companies and organizations in digitizing their operations. The parties have not yet released additional details.
- FT: London-listed Financials Acquisition Corp. (LON:FINS) terminated a plan to invest £150 million or more in insurance market Lloyd’s of London after receiving insufficient investment commitments. The SPAC will now liquidate.
- Shares Magazine: ACG Acquisition Co Ltd (LON:ACG) on Friday said Chair Peter Whelan has resigned, effective immediately, while Chief Executive Officer Artem Volynets now also becoming acting chair.
Terms Tracker for the Week Ending December 1, 2023 Welcome to our weekly column where we discuss the findings from our IPO terms tracker based on the previous week’s pricings. For the most part, this was a quiet week for filings being that it followed the Thanksgiving holiday. Ideally, bankers, lawyers and teams got a...
Aimei Health Technology Co., Ltd (NASDAQ: AFJKU) announced the pricing of its $60 million IPO this evening. Its units are expected to begin trading on the Nasdaq under the symbol “AFJKU” on Monday, December 4, 2023. After the securities comprising the units begin separate trading, the Class A ordinary shares and rights are expected to...
PROOF Acquisition Corp I (NYSE: PACI) announced this afternoon that it has closed its business combination with private aviation company Volato after shareholders approved the deal at a meeting on November 28. In total, including previous shareholder votes, shareholders opted to redeem an aggregate of 99.93% of PACI’s trust, leaving it with less than $215,000...
Adit EdTech (NYSE: ADEX) announced this morning that its shareholders have approved its business combination with bitcoin self-mining company Griid Infrastructure at a special meeting held yesterday, November 30. A total of 8,520,710 shares of common stock, representing approximately 95.7% of the outstanding shares entitled to vote, were present at the meeting, constituting a quorum...
At the SPAC of Dawn There had been hopes that this week would take one world conflict off the board, but combat has resumed in the Middle East as other eyes are likely to be fixed on new Fed comments today. The fighting in Gaza continues to not appear to have appreciable affects on the...