At the SPAC of Dawn
Good morning! Watch this space moving forward as a roundup of evening filings as well as news nuggets to nibble on beside your morning coffee.
Futures are cheery once again on the hints from Fed Chair Jerome Powell that the body could be done with rate hikes.
Any return of optimism in equities is a net positive for SPACs, but Cathie Wood warned that the comments could point not to a reversal of rate hikes, but rather new normal at plateau of rates that are “higher for longer”.
Such an environment may not be enough to bring SPAC King Chamath Palihapitiya back to the kingdom from his year-long exile. Palihapitiya pointedly blamed interest rates on both the recent highs and the lows for SPACs and although the 10-time SPAC sponsor completed his last deal in the space in August 2022, four more of his vehicles were left to liquidate in the year that followed.
The last of these, Social Capital Suvretta Holdings Corp. II liquidated just over four months ago in June. Other serial SPAC sponsors appear to be getting back into the hunt, however.
Riverstone, which sponsored the two Silver Run SPACs and four SPACs under the Decarbonization Plus name refreshed their filing for a $300 million IPO for Agriculture & Natural Solutions late last month, while the FG Merger team did the same having completed their first SPAC‘s combination with iCoreConnnect (NASDAQ:ICCT) in August.
Deals and Amendments
- Long rumored, Aetherium Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ:GMFI) confirmed in an 8-K this morning that it has signed an LOI to combine with Capital A Bhd’s AirAsia brand loyalty and aircraft leasing units at a $1 billion valuation.
- Brilliant Acquisition Corporation (NASDAQ:BRLI) has amended its combination with crypto payments firm Nukkleus, reducing the share compensation that the target is to receive by -25% to 10,500,000 from 14,000,000. The two sides will also revise the composition of the combined company’s Board.
News and Rumors
- JDSUPRA: Li-Cycle (NYSE:LICY) won its motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought by investors claiming it made false and misleading statements in the proxy materials for its 2021 combination with Peridot.
- TechCabal: Swvl (NASDAQ:SWVL), which went public with Queen’s Gambit in March 2022, finally released its 2022 financials after many months of restating figures due to the reversal of several attempted peer mergers that year. They showed it doubled revenue to $51.5 million, but had operating losses of -$82.4 million.
- WSJ: WeWork (NYSE:WE) is planning on filing for bankruptcy as early as next week, marking a stunning reversal for the flexible space provider that was once valued at $47 billion. WeWork went public with BowX in October 2021.
- Billboard: LiveOne (NASDAQ:LVO) CEO Robert Ellin explained in an interview why he pulled out of a spinoff of its Slacker platform with Roth CH V (NASDAQ:ROCL), saying “Market conditions for micro-cap stocks, for stocks under $1 billion, are just decimated this year as a whole”.
- Forbes: Digital World‘s (NASDAQ:DWAC) restated financials revealed that an SEC probe effectively cost the SPAC $10.8 million in legal fees in addition to the $18 million penalty it must pay to the regulator if it completes its combination with Trump Media & Technology Group.
- BloombergLaw: The failed merger between 26 Capital and Philipine resort Okada Manila has drawn yet another lawsuit, this time from Zama Capital Master Fund against 26 Capital CEO and Chairman Jason Ader, seeking his ouster from the SPAC’s sponsor organization.
CF Acquisition Corp. VIII (NASDAQ:CFFE) announced this afternoon that it has completed its combination with B2B software firm Exela. Although shareholders had previously approved the deal during a special meeting on August 24, no specific timeline for its next steps had been disclosed at that time. Additionally, a proposal was passed at the meeting to change...
DUET Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ:DUET) has signed a business combination agreement with social media firm Fenix 360 at an enterprise value of $610 million. Singapore-based Fenix 360 is developing an app-based social media platform designed for artists to better engage with fans and monetize interactions. The combined company is expected to trade on the Nasdaq once...
PROOF Acquisition Corp I (NYSE: PACI) announced this morning that its shareholders have approved its business combination with private aviation company Volato at a special meeting held on November 28. Approximately 97% of the votes cast at the meeting were cast in favor of the approval of the deal. The SPAC did not disclose redemption...
At the SPAC of Dawn Filings after the bell yesterday provided another three-liquidation day for SPACs bringing this week’s tally to four and extending a streak of five straight weeks with four to five liquidations each week. With 178 SPACs having announced a liquidation so far in 2023, the year’s total number could well exceed...
Plum Acquisition Corp. I (NASDAQ:PLMI) has entered into a definitive agreement to combine with digital transformation company Veea for a total enterprise value of approximately $281 million. New York City-based Veea aims to simplify secure edge computing by improving application responsiveness, reducing bandwidth and data transport costs, and eliminating central cloud dependency. The parties expect the transaction to be...